These are my go to cookies anytime I have to take cookies to an event. I haven’t met someone yet that doesn’t come back for more. It’s a good thing this recipe makes a bunch because it seems like no matter how many I make theres only ever crumbs left.
These cookies are great for decorating, but can also just be a simple iced cookie. I especially love using these for decorating since my family isn’t a huge fan of sugar cookies.
While I love this recipe this is just my adaptation and tutorial, all credit goes to The Novice Chef you can find her recipe here (Segarra 1).
- 2 cups all purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup (2 sticks) unsalted butter, room temperature
- 3/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1 large egg
- 2 teaspoons almond extract*
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 1 tablespoon milk (or water)
- 1 1/2 teaspoons almond extract*
- Preheat oven to 375 F. Line a cookie sheet with parchment paper. Set aside.
- In a medium sized bowl mix together your flour, baking powder, and salt. Set aside.
- Using a stand mixer or electric mixer cream the butter and sugar. Add the egg and almond extract, stirring just until combined. Add dry ingredients a little at a time and mix until completely combined.
- Roll 1 tablespoon of dough into balls then flatten them on the cookie sheet.**
- Bake for 8 minutes. The cookies will not look done, but they are. Let cookies rest on the cookie sheet for 5 minutes then move to a wire cooling rack.
- For the icing mix together powdered sugar, milk, and almond extract until smooth. If you want to color your icing add your food coloring here.
This recipe makes about 30 cookies, but can be easily be doubled or tripled if needed.
*If you’d prefer a different flavor you can substitute another extract for the almond.
**For cutout cookies roll out to about 1/4 inch thick. The bake time may change depending on the size of your cookies.
If you’re decorating your cookies flatten them with a metal spatula to get any air bubbles out, and so you’ll have a flat surface to decorate (Eide 1).